1. On August 16, 1998, the last U.S.A struck Afghanistan with their Tomahawk cruise missiles because their target was
a) Osama Bin Laden
b) Communist Militia
c) Taliban Militia
d) Iranian build up along the Afghan Iran border
Ans: a) Osama Bin Laden
2. Which of the following is not correct about the Lokpal Bill?
a) The Bill has 32 clauses.
b) The committee headed by the Vice-President would recommend the name of a person for appointment as Lokpal Chairperson by the President of India.
c) It seeks to bring under the purview of Prevention of Corruption Act,the Union Cabinet Ministers in November 1998.
d) It was introduced in the Lok Sabha by the ministers including the Prime Minister.
Ans: b) The committee headed by the Vice-President would recommend the name of a person for appointment as Lokpal Chairperson by the President of India.
3. NATO was expanded on May 22, 1998 by including
a) Turkey, Hungary and Czech Republic.
b) Turkey, Serbia and Slovak Republic.
c) Hungary, Czech and slovak Republic.
d) Hungary, Poland and Czech Republic.
Ans: d) Hungary, Poland and Czech Republic.
4. Which of the following statements is incorrect about the International Space Station?
a) The Russian-built Zarya module and the USA built Unity module fitted together for the first time.
b) It revolves around the earth at a height of about 1000 km.
c) It came into reality in December 1998.
d) The project seeks to join more than hundred Space Station components.
Ans: b) It revolves around the earth at a height of about 1000 km.
5. The Euro seems to have thrown down a challenge to
a) US dollar
b) Hong Kong dollar
c) Singapore dollar
d) Australian dollar
Ans: a) US dollar
6. Which world leader commented as follows on US-British air strikes in Iraq (Operation Desert Fox): “ This is a sad day for the UN and the world”.
a) Nelson Mandela
b) Jiang Zemin
c) Kofi Annan
d) Boris Yelstin
Ans: c) Kodi Annan
7. Which former Republic is moving towards ‘voluntary unification’ with Russia even while retaining its national sovereignty?
Ans: c) Belarus
8.The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was adopted and proclaimed by the UN General Assembly on:
a) 10 December 1948
b) 10 December 1945
c) 10 December 1955
d) 1 June 1946
Ans: a) 10 December 1948
9. The 2004 Olympic Games was held in
Ans: b) Athens
10. Among the following, which one is the latest regional economic bloc to be formed?
Ans: d) NAFTA
11. Bishop Carlos Fellipe Ximenes Belo and Romos-Horta shared the Nobel Prize in
Ans: c) 1996
12. To prevent the spreading of social cancer i.e. corruption CBI has been entrusted with the task of exposing the truth. Which year the CBI institution was formed?
Ans: b) 1963
13. Place that is meant for Research and experimental purpose in the Antarctica is
a) Indira Point
b) lake Priyadarshini
c) Dakshin Gangotri
Ans: c) Dakshin Gangotri
14. Which of the following regions of Asia is experiencing the highest growth rate of the population?
a) Middle East Asia
b) South East Asia
c) West Asia
d) Central Asia
Ans: b) South East Asia
15. The most important condition laid down by India for signing the CTBT has been stated as:
a) Pakistan should be declared as a terrorist state.
b) India should be recognised as a nuclear power .
c) India should be free to develop the capacity for nuclear deterrence in the interest of her own national security.
d) India should be admitted as a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Ans: c) India should be free to develop the capacity for nuclear deterrence in the interest of her own national security.
16. The International year of the ocean is
Ans: a) 1998
17. India was represented in the G-15 summit in Cairo by
a) G. Mc. Balayogi
c) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
d) L K Advani
Ans: c) Atal Bihari Vajpayee
18. The author of the book “ India 2020”
a) Lt. Dr APJ Abdul Kalam
b) Arun Shourie
c) Vikram Seth
d) Arundhati Roy
Ans: a) Lt. Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
19. One monthly magazine published in Assam still cost Re 25 per paise. Its name is
Ans: b) ASOMA
20.Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra is built as
a) cultural achievement of the state government
b) cultural achievement of the central
c) a consequence of Assam Accord
d) work based on voluntary contributions of the people of Assam
Ans: c) a consequence of the Assam Accord
21. The film “Elizabeth” is directed by
a) Scarlet Pimperel
b) Deepa Mehta
c) Pijusha Jha
d) Sekhar Kapoor
Ans: d) Sekhar Kapoor
22. The animal that was unknown to the Indus Valley Civilisation was
Ans: c) Horse
23. The dockyard of the Indus Valley Civilisation was found at
Ans: a) Lothal
24. The ultimate source of law for the vedic thinkers are:
d) Council of Ministers
Ans: b) Dharma
25. Dipavamsa is written in
d) None of the above
Ans; a) Pali
26. The form of government in the Rig Vedic age
a) Direct Democracy
b) Merchant’s Guild
d) Hereditary monarchy
Ans: d) Hereditary monarchy
27. Ashoka did not ask for
a) Respect for the present
b) devotion to the Buddhist sangha
c) to refrain from vioence
d) reverence to all ascetics
Ans: b) devotion to the Buddhist sangha
28. The capital of Kanishka was
Ans: c) Purusapura
29. Harshavardhana was defeated by the kings of
Ans: d) Chalukyas
30. The Mughal Emperor that was granted Dewani to the East India Company was
a) Shah Alam II
b) Shah Alam I
c) Bahadur Shah II
d) Bahadur Shah I
Ans: a) Shah Alam II
31. The Revolt of 1857 in Bihar was led by
a) Nana Saheb
b) Tatya Tope
c) Konwar Singh
d) Khan Bahadur Khan
Ans: c) Konwar Singh
32. The Durand line demarcates the borderline between India and
Ans: c) Afghansistan
33. Who said ‘minority cannot be allowed to veto the political progress of the majority’?
b) A. V. Alexander
d) President Wilson
Ans: a) Attle
34. Saugali treaty was concluded between the Britishers and
Ans: b) Gorkhas
35. Who among the following was not a martyr of th Quit India Movement.
b) Bhogeswari Phukanani
c) Kushal Konwar
d) Maniram Dewan
Ans: d) Maniam Dewan
36. The “Young Bengal” was formed by
a) Lousie Vivian Direjo
b) Surendranath Banerjee
c) Annie Besant
d) Subhash Chandra Bose
Ans: a) Lousie Vivian Direjo
37. Who did not belong to the Junaki Yug?
a) Lakshminath Bezbaruah
b) Nidhiram Farwell
c) Chandrakumar Agarwala
d) Hemchandra Goswami
Ans: b) Nidhiram Farwell
38. The Nathula Pass, that connects Tibet with Sikkim is located at an altitude of
a) 14,400 ft
b) 15,000 ft
c) 15,500 ft
d) 19,000 ft
Ans: a) 14,400 ft
39. Which of the following pass is located close to the Chinese boundary
a) Jelep La Pass
b) Nathu La Pass
c) Tashi View Pass
d) Shipki La Pass
Ans: a) Jelep La Pass
40. The United Arab Emirates
is made up of
a) Five Sheikhdoms
b) Six Sheikhdoms
c) Seven Sheikhdoms
d) Nine Sheikhdoms
Ans: c) Seven Sheikhdoms
41. Which one of the following pairs of countries and capitals is wrongly matched?
Ans: d) Sudan Omdurman
42. Which among the following statements is not correct?
a) Of All the African countries, Nigeria has the highest population.
b) The river Rio Grande is situated in North America.
c) The only dependent territory in Europe is Gibraltar.
d) California has a temperate maritime climate.
Ans: c) The only dependent territory in Europe is Gibraltar.
43. Maoris is used for the original people of
b) South Africa
c) New Zealand
Ans: c) New Zealand
44. Most of the world’s wheat-producing regions have
a) More than 1500 mm of rainfall.
b) Less than 300 mm of rainfall.
c) Very high rainfall.
d) Less than 1000 mm of rainfall.
Ans: d) Less than 1000 mm of rainfall.
45. Which of the following statements is correct?
a) Maharashtra produces iron ore
b) Uttar Pradesh has no Cement factory
c) Punjab produces rice
d) Andaman Islands have no indigenuous population
Ans: c) Punjab produces rice
46. The smallest state in India from the viewpoint of the area is
Ans: a) Goa
47. Punjab in winter gets rainfall because of
a) Retreating monsoon
b) Cyclones coming from Mediterranean and Gulf of Iran
c) Southwest monsoon
d) North east trade wind
Ans: b) Cyclones coming from Mediterranean and Gulf of Iran
48. Among the following, which of these are not applicable to Gujarat?
a) It is the largest producer of groundnut
b) It is the largest producer of tobacco
c) It is the largest producer of salt
d) It is the largest producer of milk product
Ans: b) It is per largest producer of tobacco
49. India is self-sufficient in all of the following minerals except
Ans: b) Copper
50. The first railway line in India from Bombay to Pune passes through
b) Thal Ghat
d) Sengottan Pass
Ans: c) Bhorghat
51. The limestone required for the Bokajan Cement factory comes mainly from
d) Dilai hill
Ans: d) Dilai hill
52. Nameri wildlife sanctuary, which has recently been upgraded to a National Park, is located in which of the following districts?
d) North Cachar Hills
Ans: a) Sonitpur
53. The total area cropped in Assam now stands at about
a) 27 million hectares
b) 20 million hectares
c) 15 Million hectares
d) 12 million hectares
< span lang="EN">Ans: a) 27 million hectares
54. The Gai, a tributary of Brahmaputra is situated between
a) The Dibang and Dihang
b) The Dibang and Subansiri
c) The Subansiri and the Bharati
d) The Bharati and the Bornadi
Ans: b) The Dibang and Subansiri
55. ‘………..that though India was to be a federation, the federation was not the result of an agreement by the states to join in a federation, and that the agreement, no state has the right to secede from it.The Federation is a union because it is indestructible.’Who made the statement during the Constituent Assembly debates?
a) Jawaharlal Nehru
b) Sardar Patel
c) Rajendra Prasad
d) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
Ans: d) Dr. B. R. Ambedkar
56. Relating to the nature of the Indian Polity, the Preamble is
a) merely declaratory
b) too idealistic
c) beautifully vague
d) part of the Constitution
Ans: d) part of the Constitution
57. Panchayati Raj institutions (PRIs) became constitutionalized bodies under:
a) Article 12 of the Constitution
b) Article 40 of the Constitution
c) The 64th Amendment Bill of 1989
d) The 73rd and 74th amendment (1992) to the Constitution
Ans: d) The 73rd and 74th amendment (1992) to the Constitution
58. Under Article 243 ZD, a District Planning committee forwards the draft development plan for the district as a whole covering Panchayats and Municipalities (after consolidating their plans) to:
a) the Planning Commission
b) Governor of the State
c) the Government of the State
sp; Union Finance Minister
Ans: c) the Government of the State
59. Among the following, which is wrongly matched?
a) December 9, 1947 – First meeting of the Constituent Assembly
b) November 26, 1949 – People of India enacted and gave to themselves the Constitution
c) January 24, 1950 – The constitution was finally signed by the members of the Constituent Assembly
d) January 26, 1950 – Date of commencement of the Constitution
Ans: a) December 9, 1947 – First meeting of the Constituent Assembly
60. The Dinesh Goswami Committee was concerned with which of the following:
a) de-nationalization of banks
b) electoral reforms
c) insurgency in the North-East
d) the problem of the Chakmas
Ans: b) electoral reforms
61. Subjects entrusted to the care of the Panchayats are listed in:
a) 11th schedule
b) 12th schedule
c) state list
d) 7th schedule
Ans: a) 11th schedule
62. Which amendment provides for an authoritative version of the constitution in Hindi?
a) 56th amendment
b) 58th amendment
c) 60th amendment
d) 61st amendment
Ans: b) 58th amendment
63. The Supreme Court ruled the Parliament had no power to change the basic structure of the Constitution in:
a) Golamukh case
b) Minerva Mills case
c) Kesavananda Bharati case
d) Gopalan case
Ans: c) Kesavananda Bharati case
64. The Union Cabinet (January 1999) approved draft Ninth Plan (1997 – 2002) amounting to:
a) Rs. 374000 crore
b) Rs 290000 crore
c) Rs 859000 crore
d) Rs 10000 crore
Ans: c) Rs 859000 crore
65. As per Reserve Bank of India figures (3rd week of January 1999), the country’s forex (Foreign exchange) reserves stood at:
a) US dollar 30,108 million
b) US dollar 27,000 million
c) US dollar 25,000 million
d) US dollar 29,000 million
Ans: d) US dollar 29,000 million
66. Which one of the following Five-year plan recognised human development as the core of all development efforts?
a) Third five year plan
b) Fifth five year plan
c) Sixth five year plan
d) Eighth five year plan
Ans: d) Eighth five year plan
67. A major shift in the 8th Five-Year plan from its preceding ones is
a) The significant reduction in public sector outlays
b) The concentration of public investment in infrastructure sectors
c) Major investment in agriculture to promote exports
d) Major investment in sectors in which industrial sickness has been a chronic problem
Ans: c) Major investment in agriculture to promote exports
68. The concept of mixed economy envisages:
a) integrated and balanced economic development
b) balanced development of agriculture and industry
c) equal importance to economic and social values
d) co-existence of public a
nd private sectors
Ans: d) co-existence of public and private sectors
69. The principle of communal representation in India was first introduced by
a) The Indian Council Act, 1861
b) The Indian Council Act, 1892
c) The Indian Council Act, 1909
d) The Govt. of India Act, 1892
Ans: d) The Govt. of India Act, 1892
70. Who edited ‘Young India’?
a) Lala Lajpat Rai
b) Annie Besant
c) Mahatma Gandhi
d) S.N. Banerjee
Ans: c) Mahatma Gandhi
71. Who founded the ‘Servants of India Society’?
a) M.G. Ranade
b) G.K. Gokhale
c) S.N. Banerjee
d) Dada Bhai naoroji
Ans: b) G.K. Gokhale
72. ‘The Surat Split was the saddest episode in the history of the Congress’ was said by:
a) B.G. Tilak
b) S.N. Banerjee
c) Annie Besant
d) Lala Lajpat Rai
Ans: d) Lala Lajpat Rai
73. For whom did Valentine Chirol say,”He was the Father of India Unrest”?
a) B.C. Pal
b) Lala Lajpat Rai
c) B.G. Tilak
d) Bhagat Singh
Ans: c) B.G. Tilak
74. Which Bill was being debated in the Central Legislative Assembly when Bhagat Singh threw a bomb in the Central Legislative Assembly in 1929?
b) Public Safety Bill
c) IIber Bill
d) None of these
Ans: a) Trade Dispute Bill
b) Public Safety Bill
75. ‘These deaths, injuries, humiliations and atrocities are the price of liberty, a price or country is asked to pay for its desire to be free’. Who said those words?
a) Nabin Chandra Bordoloi
b) T.R. Phukan
c) Gopinath Bordoloi
d) Padmadhar Chaliha
Ans: c) Gopinath Bordoloi