Following are the 100 ACS Prelims 2014 Questions & their answers are included here to get a clear idea, what is the structure of questions coming in the examination. From here candidates are able to learn the foremost topics, which are given priority in exams.
Ans: a. city-state
2. Who said, “Political Science begins and ends with the state”?
Ans: c. David Easton
3. Consider the following statements:
Ans: a. Only I and II
4. Who advocated the concept of General Wilt?
Ans: a. Hobbes
5. Who authored Leviathan?
Ans: a. Thomas Hobbes
6. “Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains” is the statement made by
Ans: c. Rousseau
7. Who considered the state a ‘necessary evil’?
Ans: c. Individualists
8. Which of the following factors, according to the ‘evolutionary theory, is most important in the origin and development of the modern state?
Ans: b. Force
9. “Will, not force is the basis of the state’ is said by
Ans: c. T. H. Green
10. Who among the following is not a supporter of positive liberalism?
Ans: b. Maciver
11. Who copied the term ‘possessive individualism’?
Ans: a. C. B. Macpherson
12. Who said, “Main is by nature a political animal”?
Ans: c. Aristotle
13. Which of the following countries is known for the practice of direct democracy?
Ans: c. Switzerland
14. Which of the following is not a condition for the success of democracy?
Ans: b. Wealth
15. Who is the chief exponent of the monistic theory of sovereignty?
Ans: a. John Austin
16. The law relating to the private rights of individuals and disputes between them is called __________ law.
Ans: b. civil
17. Who said that socialism is like a hat that lost its shape, because everybody wears it?
Ans: c. C.E.M. Joad
18. Under which Article the Constitution vests residuary powers with the Central Government?
Ans: a. Article 248
19. Which court in India can issue writs under Article 226 of the Constitution?
Ans: b. High Court
20. In whose name is the executive work of the Government of India carried on?
Ans: a. President
21. Who is the Minister of Law in the newly formed MP Government at the Centre?
Ans: d. Sushma Swaraj
22. Who is the working head of the Government in the States in India?
Ans: b. Chief Minister
23. When was the Indian Independence Act passed?
Ans: a. July 18, 1947
24. The Chairman of the State Public Service Commission is appointed by the
Ans: b. Governor of the State
25. What does the British Parliament consist of?
Ans: b. Two Houses
26. Which one of the following countries has the most powerful second chamber in the world?
Ans: a. USA
27. The term of office of the members of the UPSC is
Ans: c. 65 years of age or 6 years of service whichever is earlier
28. Which Constitution is known as the mother of all Constitutions?
Ans: a. Constitution of UK
29. Constitutional monarchy prevails in
Ans: a. UK
30. Which is the shortest Constitution in the world?
Ans: b. Constitution of USA
31. The system of dual citizenship prevails in
Ans: c. UK
32. The Senate is a/an ___________ chamber.
Ans: b. directly elected
33. Which one of the following countries has a mixed and a collegial executive?
Ans: c. Switzerland
34. Who was the First Secretary-General of the UNO?
Ans: a. Trygve Lie
35. The Headquarters of the International Court of Justice is in
Ans: c. The Hague
36. The number of permanent members in the UN Security Council is
Ans: b. 5
37. The Headquarters of the UNESCO is in
Ans: c. Paris
38. Which one of the UN specialized agencies won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1969?
Ans: b. ILO
39. Which is the oldest legislative chamber in the world?
Ans: a. House of Lords
40. Who was the founder of ‘philosophical radicalism’?
Ans: c. J. S. Mill
41. Which of the following is not a characteristic of sovereignty?
Ans: a. Alien ability
42. Who among the following scholars was not the supporter of pluralism?
Ans: c. Austin
43. Which of the following is not a source of law?
Ans: d. Speeches by the political leaders
44. The idea of ‘Rule of Law’ was introduced by
Ans: b. Laski
45. Which of the following is not a type of liberty?
Ans: c. Political liberty
46. Who wrote Two Concepts of Liberty?
Ans: a. I Berlin
47. A Grammar of Politics was written by
Ans: a. H.J. Laski
48. The Indian Constitution came into effect on
Ans: c. 26th January, 1950
49. How many Fundamental Rights are there in the Constitution of India?
Ans: c. 6
50. ‘Objective Resolution’ was introduced by
Ans: c. Dr. Rajendra Prasad
51. Which of the following is not a federal feature to the Constitution of India?
Ans: d. Integrated judicial system
52. Which of the following is not a Fundamental Duty?
Ans: d. Promotion of international peace
53. Which of the following statements is not correct?
Ans: b. The President of India is the read head
54.The Indian Constitution has borrowed ‘Judicial Review’ from
Ans: b. American Constitution
55. Financial Emergency has been discussed under
Ans: a. Article 360
56. Article 370 ordering special status to
Ans: b. Jammu and Kashmir
57. Anti-defection Law was passed by
Ans: c. 52nd Constitution Amendment Act
58. Which of the following Articles abolishes untouchability?
Ans: b. Article 17
59. Which of the following political parties is not a national political party?
Ans: c. Akali Dal
60. In India, 4th General Election took place in the year
Ans: c. 1969
61. Bharatiya Janata Party was formed in the year
Ans: b. 1980
62. Under which Schedule the Constitution provides for special arrangement for the hill areas of Assam?
Ans: c. 6th Schedule
63. The basis of Universal Adult Franchise is
Ans: b. age
64. How many members can be nominated to the Rajya Sabha by the President of India?
Ans: c. 12
65. National Emergency was declared in the year
Ans: c. 1975
66. Which of the following is not a qualification to become a member of the Lok Sabha?
Ans: c. He must be a literate
67. What is the minimum age limit to be elected as the President of India?
Ans: d. 35 years
68. Which of the following Lists regarding the distribution of legislative powers between Centre and State is not correct?
Ans: d. Residuary List
69. Which of the following Articles vests all the executive powers of a State in the Governor?
Ans: c. Article 154
70. B. R. Mehta Committee was appointed in the year
Ans: d. 1957
71. Which of the following is not a salient feature of the British political system?
Ans: a. Written Constitution
72. The Magna Carta in UK was introduced in the year
Ans: b. 1215
73. In USA, the Declaration of Independence was adopted in the year
Ans: b. 1776
74. Which of the following is not a feature of the American Constitution?
Ans: b. Very flexible Constitution
75. Which of the following is not a problem of urban local government?
Ans: c. High level of participation of people
76. In America, the minimum qualifying voting age is
Ans: a. 16 years
77. Meghalaya was carved out of Assam in
Ans: c. 1972
78. The Election Commission of India was set up in
Ans: a. 1950
79. India had undertaken first nuclear explosion in the year
Ans: a. 1974
80. In which year was the membership of the Security Council increased from 11 to 15?
Ans: c. 1965
81. Which of the following is not a prerequisite of parliamentary government?
Ans: c. Secrecy among the members of the Cabinet
82. Which of the following is not a merit of parliamentary government?
Ans: a. It is weak in the time of war
83. Which of the following is not a feature of the welfare state?
Ans: d. State should only perform police function
84. “Over himself, over his own body and mind, the individual is sovereign.” Who said this?
Ans: a. J. S. Mill
85. Who among the following scholars was not an exponent of ‘laissez-faire’ individualism?
Ans: d. Aristotle
86. Who among the following scholars opined that society is governed by the principle of ‘survival of the fittest’?
Ans: a. H. Spencer
87. ‘The State in Theory and Practice’ was written by
Ans: b. Laski
88. Which of the following is not a feature of the federal government?
Ans: a. All the powers are vested in the hands of one authority
89. Who was an Idealist?
Ans: a. Plato
90. Who among the following is not a supporter of ‘analytical school’ of law?
Ans: a. H. Maine
91. Who said, “Sovereignty is the supreme will of the state”?
Ans: a. Willoughby
92. According to which Article, India is a Union of States?
Ans: b. Article 1
93. ‘Democratic Theory — Essays in Retrieval’ is authored by
Ans: b. C.B. Macpherson
94. Gaon Panchayat shall consist of
Ans: a. 10 members
95. Who coined the term “Political Science”?
Ans: d. Jean Bodin
96. Who called Politics a master science?
Ans: c. Aristotle
97. “History is past politics, politics is recent history” is said by
Ans: b. Edward Augustus Freeman
98. Who among the following is the advocate of limited sovereignty of the state?
Ans: b. Locke
99. Who is the author of On Liberty?
Ans: d. J.S. Mill
100. ____________ is regarded as the father of scientific socialism.
Ans: b. Karl Marx